Everyone can be a responsible pet owner, assuming that they can provide the right environment for an animal. Besides the living and work situation, personal aspects such as age, health and mental stability need to be considered.
- I understand the needs of an animal
- An animal would fit my lifestyle
- I have arranged who takes care for the animal during my vacation or when I am ill.
- I am prepared to take care of an animal for their whole life, especially their senior years
- I have checked that nobody in my household suffers from allergies
- I am aware of the mess and cleaning that comes with having an animal
- I take responsibility for my pet
- It is clear to me and to all persons in the household that an animal is not a toy
- My landlord allows pets and my housing situation is suitable.
- I have enough time to look after my new pet
- I can provide lifelong financial support for my pet (dogs and cats 10 - 15 years, rabbits ~ 10 years, guinea pig ~ 7 years)
- I can fulfill the physical and mental demands of my pet
Can you fulfill all those requirements? If yes, you are very close to your goal of adopting a new pet! Now go one step further and do some research about the special requirements of your favourite species. Dogs, cats or rabbits all have their own needs for their new family. If these requirements are met, you are ready to take the journey to your local shelter.