At FOUR PAWS, every day we see the beautiful relationships that form between animals and people. Animals offer us emotional, mental, and physical support, and for many people, pets are family.
Sadly, due to a multitude of reasons including rising cost-of-living pressures and lack of pet-friendly rental options, there are many Australians who are facing hardship. People who love their pets are finding themselves in difficult situations where they are concerned for their daily needs on top of the well-being of their furry best friend.
Thankfully, there are wonderful organisations and services who are providing a helping hand to pet owners in need and their animals. These services are showing compassion and kindness to people experiencing housing insecurity, hospitalisation and aged care, financial hardship, and victims of domestic violence.
These speciality services can provide support where it is needed, including health checks and veterinary care, to temporary foster homes, and financial support.
- Pet Rescue Crisis Care Support - https://www.petrescue.com.au/crisis-care-support
- Pets in the Park - https://www.petsinthepark.org.au/home/
- Pets of the Homeless - https://petsofthehomeless.org.au/
- Project Hope - https://southerncrossvet.com.au/project-hope/
- RSPCA NSW - https://www.rspcansw.org.au/what-we-do/working-in-communities/community-homelessness-program/
- Safe Pets Safe Families - https://safepetssafefamilies.org.au/
Abandonment can be avoided
No matter for what reason a pet is abandoned or surrendered, the animal is always the one who suffers most. There is support available to help prevent this sad outcome for both the pet owner and the beloved animal.