Dogs and their needs
Guide for dog owners: What does my dog need?
Like any living creature, dogs have certain needs that owners must be aware of in order to ensure a happy life for their pet. Here is an overview of a dog's most important daily needs.
Daily basic needs
- sufficient good food
- sufficient fresh water
- sufficient movement
- sufficient sleep
- the opportunity for a bit of time alone
Need for security
A dog's need for security is fulfilled by:
- having at least one attachment figure
- an ordered daily routine
- reassuring leadership
- sufficient opportunities to withdraw
- freedom from pain and fear
Social needs are fulfilled through:
- the human 'pack'
- regular contact to other dogs
- body contact
Dogs receive social recognition through:
- being allowed to join in all fun activities
- a sense of achievement when being training
Sometimes dogs just want to be dogs and allowed to do what they like:
- bathe and swim
- and whatever else a dog's heart desires...