Goats have to suffer harmful procedures on farms with intensive purposes. The demonstration mentions common cruel practices.
- Purpose: to prevent animals injuring each other or staff in a restricted space.
- The horn buds are burnt out. Because the horn buds are rich in nerves, dehorning is very painful.
- Purpose: to prevent the 'goaty' odour of the meat of males, and to curb their fertility. The animals become less aggressive.
- The spermatic cords are strongly squeezed by a clamp (the Burdizzo clamp).
- There are also other castration methods (e.g. surgical, with a scalpel).
four paws demands
- A ban on the dehorning of goats. The horn buds of goats are extremely sensitive. Appropriate farming methods do not require the amputation of body parts.
- The castration of male goats must be carried out by a vet, under anaesthesia and with follow-up treatment against pain.