2021 was a big year in so many ways, including for animal protection in fashion. Some exciting announcements include:
- France and Estonia have banned fur farming, and Israel became the first country in the world to ban fur sales
- Canada Goose and Kering (parent company to luxury fashion Houses Saint Laurent, Gucci, Alexander McQueen) are demanding all its brands to go fur-free
- Singer Billie Eilish announced that she successfully convinced Oscar de la Renta to go fur-free just prior to the infamous Met Gala
At FOUR PAWS, 2021 was the year our #WearItKind initiative launched internationally, and while there is a long way to go for animal welfare in fashion, we saw some good progress made by the fashion industry (read all about it in our 2021 fashion report).
- We welcomed 21 companies as new members of the Fur Free Retailer Program
- We also mobilised over 30 international fashion brands, including Adidas, H&M, Esprit, and The North Face to sign a letter of Intent calling for a mulesing-free future in the Australian wool industry by 2030.
- Our animal-friendly fashion movement, which began in Australia and the US in 2020, is now backed by over 1,000,000 people around the world! See what you can do to make a difference!
- We announced a new collaboration for sheep! FOUR PAWS partnered with RSPCA Australia and Humane Society International Australia formed an alliance to end mulesing in Australia. The partnership aims to fast-track the move away from mulesing and towards more humane methods to manage flystrike. Read more about our mulesing-free wool campaign.
- We welcomed over 300 major brands to our Brands Against Mulesing list.
Thank you to everybody who has joined us on this journey. You truly are making a different to the billions of animals who suffer for fashion every year, and creating an animal-friendly fashion future!